31 May 2007

Obscurer with Paul Smith*


Time now for the latest in our series where Paul 'The People's Frontman' Smith talks about his favourite classic records.

But before that, he's got something to get off his chest...


"Hi fans! Apologies for the brusque opening to my last column, it just annoys me when folk question my intellectuality. My least favourite question in the whole world is, “Do you understand?” Of course I understand! I am Paul Smith, after all. I understand everything!

Anyway, the song I am going to write about today is ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ by Joy Division. If you’re not an emotionally-ruined puddle of tears after hearing this song you must lack either a heart or functioning ears. One of the two. My favourite version of the track, and the one I urge you to seek out, is one the band recorded for John Peel. It is available on Joy Division’s compact disc ’The Complete BBC Recordings’.

From the urgent opening, where clanging guitars and angry drums launch an assault on the listener, to the soaring, heartbreaking synths that propel the chorus into stratospheric realms, this is an aurally-amazing recording. It is orally amazing to, as Ian Curtis gives one of his most controlled live performances.

The last two seconds sound a bit like the guitar noise out of that Placebo song ’Pure Morning’, but don’t hold that against it; Brian Molko probably nicked it. The song's still really good; check it out!".



*in no way associated with Paul Smith or Maximo Park

No comments: