29 July 2008

"I don't really do much fighting..."

For the uninitiated, Little Boots is a lady called Victoria who used to be in a band called Dead Disco but is not any more. She is responsible for ‘Stuck On Repeat’, the giant Italo epic that has seen her catapulted into the upper echelons of Hypemachineville.

Her new single, ‘Meddle’, is not as subtle. Fizzing, thrashing and banging all over the place, it sounds like a scorned bear with a hangover going mad in a drum shop. Amazing.

We caught up with Victoria recently and here is what was said.

Hello! Please tell us how the Little Boots ‘thing’ came about.
Basically I wrote a few songs, recorded them and got some people to produce them. I sent one called ‘Stuck On Repeat’ to a few blogs and before I knew it lots of people on the internet had started talking about it. Then people in the real world started talking about it too!

Where are you going with all this?
God, I have no idea! I’m very ambitious... I really want people to see this as a serious pop project and not just a blog thing. I’m working on finishing my album, hopefully it’ll be pretty mainstream but also pretty weird.

All the best albums are. What’s your next single going to be?
I’ve got one called ‘Meddle’ coming out in a couple of weeks on limited vinyl. We’re only making 300 copies so go and buy one! After that I’m going to do some touring and see where that takes me.

It will probably take you to Hull at some point, sadly. If you got into a fight while you were there, what footwear would you hope to be wearing?
Well, I don’t really do much fighting so I probably wouldn’t know! Maybe stilettos with big spikes on the end!

Last time we saw you play you were in Dead Disco and you stood side-on to the audience the entire time. Are you still as nonchalant about your performances?
No, haha! That was only because I wanted to play keyboards as well as sing. It’s what I've always done but it’s difficult to do live because when you're behind a keyboard it’s like a barrier between you and the audience. In the future I'm going to try to focus on singing but still play bits of keyboards and other instruments when the songs allow.

Famously, your song ‘Stuck On Repeat’ is about a CD player that can only play one track at a time. What is the worst example of technological malfunction you’ve faced?
It was in my old band, when I used to play keytar. It was one of our first gigs and someone from Sony came along which was a really big deal for us. Halfway through the set, all the batteries fell out of my keytar. I just carried on playing and hoped for the best…

Did you foresee the Summer 2008 Italo craze when writing ‘Stuck On Repeat’ or was it just a massive fluke?
I was never that into Italo beforehand, apart from Moroder and Patrick Cowley, but I had the Sally Shapiro record which I really liked. It’s only since people started making comparisons that I’ve got more into it. I think people just got bored of the electro 'bangers' scene and started looking for other interesting styles.

Would you rather live in the countryside with full access to the internet, or live in the middle of the city but have no way of contacting anyone?
I love the city sooo much, so definitely not the countryside! And I think you would always have ways of contacting people in the city. Even if you had no phone you could just walk down the street and bump into a hundred people.

Very ‘Richard Ashcroft’. What is your favourite ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach?
Haha, I can’t actually remember! I think it’s probably Space Invaders. It’s a rollercoaster inside this big thing and it’s like you’re flying through the universe or something. I think a few people died on it once so it’s kinda creepy.

If you could go back and say one thing to the teenage you, what would it be?
I dunno, maybe kiss some more boys? I didn't have much luck as a teenager. Part of me would say don't bother sticking through college and university, just do music. But then if I hadn't done those things I probably wouldn't be here now and learning is always a great thing so maybe I wouldn't change anything like that.

Thank you very much Little Boots.

Visit Little Boots on MySpace. Buy 'Meddle' from here.

.

2 comments:

pablo said...

nice interview!

DANNY MCFADDEN said...

Yes. This is pretty much the fucking best. And has anyone else noticed how similar the word 'amazin' is to 'amazon'? Anyway I found this interview amazong.